My Discussion Posts

Rhetorical Analysis of a Scientific Advertisement 

Question:

STEP 1: Post the link to the advertisement that you have selected. If you did not find this ad online, share the photo or sound clip of the advertisement. Then, analyze its effectiveness by first answering the following questions:

1. Provide a brief explanation of the ad. Give us some background on the issue/product. (2-3 sentences)
  2. What is the ads purpose?
  3. What is the argument?
  4. Who is the “author”? 
  5. Who is the intended audience?
  6. What is the tone?
  7. What is the style (visual component) of the ad? (Mention anything about what you can/cannot see visually)
  8. What kind of supporting appeals, evidence, or examples does this ad use or rely on?

STEP 2: After you answer the above questions, please write a paragraph about why you believe the ad is effective or ineffective. What (in your opinion) makes this advertisement marketable and persuasive or not? Make sure to include a claim (whether or not you think it is effective), evidence (directly from the ad), and support for that evidence.

STEP 3: Respond in two separate posts to two classmates (in at least 75 words). Explicitly address their examples and try to either extend on their response (offer supporting information in agreement about their ad) or complicate their response (offer a different perspective on their ad). So your responses should look like (PICK ONE):

1. You are agreeing with what they said about their advertisement and can offer more information or analysis about their ad.
  2. You do not agree with their analysis of their ad and can offer a different perspective or analysis of the ad. 

Answer:

This snapshot from the Real Cost was the scientific advertisement that I chose to utilize. “You Get All Your Smokes For Free Or Do You?” claims the ad. A picture of someone with rotting yellow teeth appears in the advertising. The advertising depicting yellow teeth could be a representation of the negative consequences of smoking excessively. “Smoking cigarettes can cause yellow teeth, bad breath, and gum diseases,” states the advertisement. This demonstrates that they want the audience to understand that smoking cigarettes is harmful to one’s health. Throughout the day, the intended audience could be ordinary individuals. To let the world know that smoking kills, this advertisement can be displayed in train stations, bus stations, social media,billboards and other areas. The message is delivered in a very direct and to-the-point manner. The capital letters in the heading could show that this issue is very important and should be dealt with. The yellow teeth in the photo may serve as a warning to smokers that smoking is hazardous for them, and that if they continue to smoke, their teeth will decay. The teeth are used in the ad to illustrate the notion that smoking is harmful to one’s health.

This advertisement photo is effective in my opinion because it addresses a real issue that many people do every day. Cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung disease, diabetes, among other health problems are all linked to smoking. This advertising depicts one of the numerous negative consequences of smoking cigarettes which is rotten teeth.Teeth is a part of the face that many people want to make sure it looks good. When someone sees a picture of rotten teeth, they are disgusted by it, and when they learn that smoking is the cause of the problem, they or the audience may recognize that smoking is unhealthy for them.This could lead them to stop smoking or not smoke at all.

FDA Targets Teens In First Anti-Smoking Campaign

Flipped Classroom Discussion Post

Question:

For this reflection discussion board, please construct a short essay (3-5 paragraphs) while answering the questions below in an honest and coherent manner. You may offer any insight on your experience with this activity. I will consider your reflections in future courses when I implement the same activity so please let me know what worked best for you as a group and individual, and what needs improving. You should talk about your strengths and struggles with this exercise and discuss how you were able to accomplish your goals.

1. Now that it is over, what are your thoughts on this assignment? State whether they are either positive, negative, or mixed and why. 

2. How did you divide the responsibilities within the group fairly? 

3. Did the role you were assigned fit your strengths?

4. How well did you and your teammates communicate? 

5. What is one thing you did really well on this assignment and what is one thing you want to improve? 

6. What challenges did you face? How did you overcome these challenges? If you did not overcome them, what could have helped? 

7. What is a benefit of working with a group where you did not choose your partners? 

8. What advice would you give to other groups working on this activity? 

9. What is one goal you would like to set for yourself for future assignments? 

10. What did you learn from this exercise, either collectively or individually, and how will you use what you learned in your future academic courses? 

Answer:

After doing this assignment I feel positive about it because I was able to learn more about pollution in the world to a broader extent. I enjoyed being able to do team work while writing doing this class project and enjoyed it. When I first saw the article me and my group were going to read I wasn’t that interested in it because of how long it was. Reading the article took a few reads to understand it because of all the scientific words and the parentheses in between the sentences. 

When dividing the groups we decided to look at the bullet points in the assignment prompt to see what was needed to be added to our project. We then decided to pick who wanted to do the first 2 bullet points and so on. After picking what bullet points we wanted to do me and my group members took a few days to find answers to our given bullet points and then talked about it during our zoom meetings.  One thing I think I did a good job in while doing this group project was getting all the important information needed for my assignment. Some challenges while facing this project was making sure I had the right information for my assignment and making sure it wasn’t wrong. Because the article I wrote was really long their was a lot of important information that could be added to my summary in the article. But after reading the article a few times I was able to find certain information that felt right for my assignment. 

One advice I have to give for anyone doing this assignment is to make sure they take their time when doing this assignment and if they ever need any help with the assignments is to always ask your group members for help because it really makes a difference. One goal I would set myself for the future is to not procrastinate when doing my assignments and ask for help when I don’t understand anything.  After learning about what pollution does to the environment I have some knowledge now about this situation so if anyone I know asks me about this topic I could have a better understanding on it.